This fun but disgusting Halloween food looks totally realistic, tastes great, and cooks up in about 5 minutes. It amazes me that something this easy can make such a gross Halloween food! Really fun.
You can also try a small piece of onion for the nail, if you like, but I think the yellow bell pepper gives the best impression of thick, gross-looking yellow nails. Recipe below is for one serving– just multiply to make as many as you need.
3 cocktail sausages
3 triangles of yellow bell pepper
Ketchup or BBQ sauce, as needed
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2. To make each serving of three fingers, create 3 shallow horizontal slices about halfway up each cocktail sausage for “knuckles.”
3. Boil sausages until cooked, about 2-3 minutes. Let cool slightly.
4. With a sharp knife, cut a small flat space at the tip of the sausage for a “nail.” Using a bit of ketchup, mayonnaise, or bbq sauce, press a nail into each finger.
5. Fill a cup (in the photo it’s a plastic muffin cup, but you can use a ramekin, a little clear glass, or whatever) with a couple tablespoons of ketchup, bbq sauce (these recipes are great!), or any other red-colored sauce. Place assembled fingers in the cup, burying the ends slightly in the sauce. Serve hot.
Tip: Heating the sauce helps keep this digusting Halloween food from cooling down too fast.